mercredi 14 janvier 2009

Shut up and Listen to... Anthony Joseph!

Although I've already said it... I love words: poets, writers, lyricists, painters (yes, painters!), grafitti artists, even -some- politicians.

So it is only normal that Anthony Joseph knocked me off my feet, on my previous post, I was talking about him being @ Son d'Hiver Festival on the 13th of Feb, and I had only listened to some excerpts of his pieces, but today I was able to listen over and over again to five or six full songs (Vero, Bermudez, River of Masks, Jo Sam meets Bo Nugg uptown and Gnawa poetry...) OhMiLord!

Although he is a newcomer on MY newborn musical universe, he's already accomplished lotsa things: he's written a couple of published essays, books ("The African Origins of U.F.O." -can you imagine?),poetry collections, etc. Looking forward to reading his stuff.

Some may disagree, but I think his poetry resembles Ben Okri's quite a lot: Super creative poetry full of magical/futuristic metaphors... sublime!

He's currently on tour internationally solo and with his Jazz quartet The Spasm Band. Beautiful sound they make together.

And of course... i had to make a very personal comment: VERO, featuring Mr African Music Maverick himself: Keziah "Rugged" Jones (on bass) is a masterpiece.

Maybe I've said it before, but Mr Jones is probably my favorite musician; Hey Keziah Jones, if by any chance you're reading this, you are my favorite musician!
Go Black Britain!
You can check Mr Anthony "Genius" Joseph's myspace up HERE...

And for you lazy friends who cannot google his official websilte, voilà!

Now that you've heard what he sounds/feels like, what are y'all doing on Feb 13?

*: Picture copyright of anthonyjoseph.co.uk

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire